Bath Exchange Pilgrim's relationship with the Central United Reformed Church on Argyle Street in Bath, England began with a pulpit exchange in 1980 and continued with biannual exchange visits by members of the two congregations for two decades. We have detailed records from some of the exchanges but many visits are incompletely documented.
Concerts All of Pilgrim's buildings have served the congregation and the city as a popular venue for concerts of religious and classical music. Many distinguished international artists have performed in Pilgrim's church buildings. The Lake Avenue building and our present Fourth Street building were frequently used for Matinee Musicale performances. The information visible for each concert on the opened page is searchable.
Confirmation Pictures Although there are some gaps, Pilgrim has confirmation pictures going back to the late 1930's. Most of the confirmands are identified. There are multiple images for each class in every .PDF file (one must scroll through the file to see them). The opened page is searchable by last name.
Corporate Status, Constitution and Bylaws Pilgrim's legal status has a complex history (Oscar Mitchell, 1928). Pilgrim's constitution and bylaws have changed many times over the years.
Histories Pilgrim is fortunate to have a series of anniversary history papers, reminiscences and several monographs.
Merger Matters Between April 4, 1948 and February 5, 1964, Pilgrim's congregation voted five times on issues related to a possible merger of the Congregational Christian Churches (of which Pilgrim was a member) with the Evangelical and Reformed Church, and, once the merger had occurred, on whether Pilgrim should join the new denomination (the United Church of Christ). The links in this section contain images of all the material in our archives related to this issue, which was a preoccupation of the congregation for nearly two decades.
Missions Pilgrim had a substantial and sustained interest in mission activities, particularly during its first 75 years. The records we have suggest that Pilgrim members were more concerned with the welfare and education of disadvantaged populations in the United States and abroad than they were with proselytizing. Cornelius Patton, Pilgrim's third settled minister, subsequently served as the long-time Home Secretary of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, Boston, Massachusetts. For nearly 90 years Pilgrim provided substantial support to a number of different individuals undertaking such activity: Emily Susan Hartwell in China; Herbert Irwin in Turkey and Greece; and, perhaps most significantly, Ray Edward Phillips in Johannesburg, South Africa. Pilgrim also gave some support to Congregational mission churches among the Finns in northern Minnesota. Most of the records we have of this activity is found in letters from the missionaries published periodically in the Sunday Bulletin.
Music Programs In addition to a traditional choir, Pilgrim has had a variety of youth choirs, handbell choirs, quartets and specialty ensembles.
Organs Pilgrim has had organs in all three of its church buildings. We only have detailed records of the Ames Memorial Organ and the current Jaeckel Organ, both of which were installed in our present 1917 building. The Steere and Turner organ in the 1889 Lake Street building was, at the time, much admired in the city.
Origens Duluth's Pilgrim Church developed from discussions in late 1870. In addition to the documents associated with this link, see the 1870-1886 Minute Book.
Photos This topic includes photos or individuals, groups, events, buildings and other images which are not entirely consistent with another category.
Printer's Blocks Until the mid-twentieth century, papers distributed to the congregation (such as Sunday Bulletins) were printed in a professional shop. These often contained illustrations. We have many of the printer's blocks used for these illustrations.
Real Estate Pilgrim has occupied three different church buildings, owned a number of different houses in the city (which were used by the clergy or as an annex to the church), and land (now part of the U.M.D. campus) originally acquired as a potential site for a student center. Please see the "Minutes" page for records of the Building Committee of our present 1917 church building.
Windows Although Pilgrim's Tiffany windows receive most attention, the church has a diverse collection of well-made and interesting windows from other studios. Pilgrim retained very few records relating to the Tiffany windows. Some of the other windows have extensive documentation.